Planning a trip to the ride the Triangle’s Train? You can purchase your tickets in advance through our secure online system. VISA, Mastercard and Discovery credit cards are accepted.
Diesel Excursion ticket fare is $10 per adult / $7 per child age 2 to 12.
Steam Excursion ticket fare is $12 per adult / $8 per child age 2 to 12.
Children under 2 ride FREE.
We offer five excursions, rain or shine, on our monthly excursion days. Buy your tickets early as passenger cars can fill up quickly, particularly on steam excursions. The on-site railway ticket booth opens approximately one hour before the first scheduled departure to sell tickets.
Important information about Ride Day:
- Please dress appropriately for the weather the day of your ride. The railroad operates open passenger cars, rain or shine.
- Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your train’s departure time. Allow ample time to park and board your train
- The excursions take about one hour. There are no bathrooms on the trains, so please plan accordingly. There are bathrooms (porta potties) on the rail yard grounds.
- Limited handicap facilities are available. Please contact us regarding any special needs.
- The staff is an all-volunteer crew trained to operate the equipment in a safe and professional manner. If you have questions concerning the railway or museum, you are encouraged to ask an on-duty volunteer.
- No refunds or rain checks are offered due to inclement weather.
- The railroad reserves the right to substitute equipment or cancel any event or excursion without notice.
- You may call to verify trains are operating before visiting.
- A ticket is not a reservation. Please board as soon as possible. Trains will depart at the scheduled time or earlier if full.
- Special event fare and schedule may vary.
Everyone enjoys a ride on the railroad, so get your group together for a visit with us in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Bookings are available for:
School Field Trips
Clubs and Organizations
Our Friday diesel excursions are particularly suited to groups, they operate on the third Friday of each month from April through November. Trains leave the Bonsal Depot promptly at 10:00 a.m. on the day of the ride. Groups are also welcome to ride during our regular excursion days.
Groups may book in advance on our website or by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 919.362.5416 and speaking with the agent on duty at the Yard Office any Saturday, Sunday or Wednesday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. at least two weeks before the day of your group event. Groups wishing to pay by check should contact us directly as our online ticket vendor is not set up to accept checks.
Group fares are the same as our regular ticket prices per person ($10 adult/$7 child Diesel; $12 aduld/$8 child Steam).
The New Hope Valley Railway Operate-a-Loco program puts YOU in the engineer’s seat of one of our diesel or steam locomotives. Spend an hour at the throttle on the 8-mile round trip New Hope Valley Railway route through the North Carolina piney woods. Experience the thrill of driving a real railroad locomotive.
Operate-a-Loco participants who choose the Steam locomotive option will experience what it must have been like to run a steam engine during railroading’s golden age! Sound like fun? It is, but it is not for the faint of heart. Long pants and closed toed shoes are required and long sleeve shirts are recommended. Temperatures inside the steam locomotive cab can get above 14o degrees Fahrenheit, so be sure you can take the heat! You must be able to climb into the locomotive cab and stand for more than an hour without assistance. Bring your own gloves if you have them, or you can borrow a pair of ours. Steam Operate-a-Loco sessions may take up to two hours depending upon the level of participation.
And yes, you can blow the whistle!
Operate-a-Loco fare is $125 for Diesel / $250 for Steam.