The Goldston Depot was constructed for the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway around 1884. It is located in Goldston, Chatham County, North Carolina. The town was originally called Corinth, but was renamed after the first town mayor and land donor for the depot. The town received a post office in 1889 and in 1896 had a population of 150 people.
Originally constructed as a freight only depot, the depot was enlarged in the early 1900’s to add a freight office. Southern Railway took over operation of the line in 1909. The size with the addition was 23’ x 58’. In the mid 1920’s, as passenger service was added to the line, a passenger section was added increasing the overall size to 23’ x 72’. Passenger service was ended in the late 1930’s. The depot was converted back to being a freight depot with an office and that is how it’s found today. Rail service was discontinued at the depot in the mid 1950’s. It was moved offsite in the early 1960’s by a local businessman who owned property about a block away to preserve it from being destroyed.
The depot is intact and complete with a new steel roof put on in 2007 to protect it from the weather. All the original wood remains as well as the original semaphore. It has been donated to the North Carolina Railroad Museum, who will move it to their Bonsal yard, restore it and preserve it as a freight depot with office. The depot will retain the Goldston name and help preserve a bygone time in North Carolina railroad history. Along with the Cliffside #110 steam engine currently being restored, this will help recreate a piece of North Carolina history.
USOX 8707 – The Exhibit Car
By R.T. Crowley, curator of history
How many of you have ever taken a close look at our “Exhibit Car,” the one housing our mini-museum and gift shop? These days our society has become very conscious of our military veterans, and having been built for military use, the car is a veteran as well. The specific history of this car is somewhat sketchy, but we do know a bit about it.
USOX 8707 was originally built at the St. Louis Car Company plant in St. Louis, MO in December 1942. The original interior configuration was as a Kitchen Car for WWII troop trains, providing meals to military personnel being transported to the ships to take them to the various theaters of the war.
As one sees the car from the infield at Bonsal, the stoves inside were to the left where no windows exist, with food preparation areas on the other side of the car opposite the stove. The area to the right, now housing the gift shop area, held bunks and lockers for the cooks operating the car. Vents louvers visible on the outside of the car indicate the location of food storage areas inside. The end doors allowed railroad and military personnel to pass to and from the kitchen car as the troop train moved. The “USOX” reporting marks indicate the car was operated by the United Service Organization (USO) with the “X” identifying it as a privately owned car, one not owned by any actual railroad.
In 1946 the 8707 was retired from troop train service, and stored by the US Army. It may have been brought out of mothballs to serve during the Korean War, but we have no specific records of that. Eventually, the car was transferred to the US Army Transportation Corps at Ft. Eustis, VA, the stoves and most other interior fittings were removed, probably for scrap, to allow the conversion to a Tool Car on maintenance trains.
The car was donated to the Old North State Chapter NRHS (ONS) in the late-1970s, and moved to the Alexander Railroad for storage, pending the ONS acquisition of their own track. In approximately 1986, the ONS determined they could no longer justify continued ownership of the car, donated it to the East Carolina NRHS (predecessor of the NCRM), and the car moved to Bonsal. The car was in reasonable condition upon arrival in Bonsal, even still containing some of the original bunks from its military service. Unfortunately, these bunks were scrapped during a renovation at Bonsal.
USOX 8707 also contains a mystery we will probably never solve. Stand on our infield facing the car, and look high up on the side to the left. You will see two small and generally round holes in the side. These holes are patched over inside but quite visible from the outside. Close inspection shows these two marks as bullet holes! From the way the sheet metal protrudes to the outside, the weapon was fired from inside the car. This may have been an accidental discharge of an improperly secured weapon, or maybe…
Well, good curating should not speculate without at least some hard evidence, so we shall leave the rest to your imagination.
Information on the St. Louis Car Company cars, like ours, can be found through the National Museum of Transport and the other libraries and museums in the St Louis area. We also know at least one car similar to ours, although on only four wheels and possibly with a different original interior configuration, is preserved at a railway museum in the Netherlands, southeast of Rotterdam. The corporate records of the Pullman Company are now housed in the Pullman Library at the Illinois Railroad Museum, and their cars were produced at plants in Pullman, IL and Michigan City, MI.