Here are some important details for you to know about our rail yard and trains as you plan your visit. Most importantly, please dress appropriately for the weather the day of your ride. The railroad operates open passenger cars with a covered roof, rain or shine. One is pictured here, showing people getting ready to exit the train after an excursion. There are seats to sit in during our rides.
We have no bathrooms on the trains, but do have porta-potties in the rail yard.
We are located about 30 minutes southwest of Raleigh off of US 1 and Exit 89, then down Old U.S. 1. We straddle the towns of Bonsal and New Hill and the counties of Wake and Chatham. Visit our Directions page for more details.
- Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your train’s departure time. Allow ample time to park and board your train.
- The excursions take about one hour. There are no bathrooms on the trains, so please plan accordingly. There are bathrooms (porta potties) on the rail yard grounds.
- Limited handicap facilities are available. Please contact us regarding any special needs or stop by the ticket depot as you enter our rail yard from the visitor parking lot.
- The staff is an all-volunteer crew trained to operate the equipment in a safe and professional manner. If you have questions concerning the railway or museum, you are encouraged to ask an on-duty volunteer.
- No refunds or rain checks are offered due to inclement weather. Our train cars have open windows, but are covered with a roof. Rides still happen in rain, sleet, snow or heat. Plan accordingly.
- The railroad reserves the right to substitute equipment or cancel any event or excursion without notice.
- You may call to verify trains are operating before visiting. Our ticket booth opens one-hour prior to the first train departure.
- Please come to the ticket office on the ride day. If you paid online and printed your ticket at home, we still need to check you in. You may also pay online and we will print your tickets at the ticket office or you may purchase your tickets at the ticket office the day of the ride. Boarding is first come, first serve so please board as soon as possible. Trains will depart at the scheduled time or earlier, if full.
- Special event fare and schedule may vary. Visit our Schedule for details.
- Be sure to visit our gift shop located in a renovated rail car in the rail yard. You’ll find a variety of gifts for rail fans who love trains!