Our 2017 Schedule typically begins in April and ends in December with our popular Holiday Santa Trains, but this year we’ve added two new special events in February and March. We’ve also added a second week-day ride now on Wednesdays and Fridays.
See our Calendar for a month-by-month listing of our excursion rides, events and rentals.
Our weekend ride days now include Slow Down Sundays and Saturday special events. We’re 100% staffed by volunteers, so while we don’t operate on a regular schedule, you can plan ahead, buy your tickets online and count on a memorable experience on the days listed below.
Buy your tickets here where you’ll also find the fares and train departure times for the day you plan to be our guest. Or you can click on the ticket icon (Buy Tickets) on the upper right-side of this page.
Larger groups, such as schools and senior centers, prefer our weekday rides held once a month on Wednesdays & Fridays. For special occasions, see our Party Caboose and Parties & More pages or let the train enthusiast in your family (16 years or older) https://www.triangletrain.com/buy-tickets/drive our diesel engines in our Operate-a-Loco program.
The steam engine will be undergoing federally mandated repairs and updates in 2017. All trains running on our tracks will be diesel engines pulling covered, open-air passenger cars for a memorable experience our customers have enjoyed for more than 30 years.
Our trains will be operating on the following days. Please click on Buy Tickets for train departure times and ticket prices. A small processing fee will apply for each transaction and is not included in the rate shown.
February 11 – Steam Party
April 9 – North Carolina Science Festival
April 29 – Brew ‘n’ Choo Strawberry Festival
May 13 – Celebrate Mom
May 27 – Brew ‘n’ Choo Bonsal Beach Party
June 11 – Slow Down Sunday
June 24 – Brew ‘n’ Choo Luau
July 9 – Military Appreciation
July 29 – Diesel & Ice Cream
August 13 – Garden Railroad Festival
August 26 – Brew ‘n’ Choo Pizza Party
September 10 – Slow Down Sunday
September 30 – Beer, BBQ & Choo Choo
October 14 – Track or Treat: Halloween Express
October 21 – Track or Treat: Halloween Express
October 28 – Track or Treat: Halloween Express
November 12 – Slow Down Sunday
December 2 – Holiday Santa Trains
December 3 – Holiday Santa Trains
December 9 – Holiday Santa Trains
December 10 – Holiday Santa Trains
Weekday Ride Days: Wednesdays and Fridays at 10:30 a.m.
We offer excursions, rain or shine, on our monthly excursion days.
We work with partners who join us in the rail yard throughout our ride season. County Line Sweets dessert food truck serves crepes, dessert Belgian waffles, cannolis, tiramisu, cake, brownies and more. Owner Troy Hernandez also operates a hot dog wagon serving a kid’s menu. Bruster’s Real Ice Cream of Apex serves homemade ice cream in a variety of flavors coinciding with themed ride days. Food is not included in the ticket price. Craft breweries, local wineries and musicians join us for Brew ‘n’ Choo events (beer and wine is available at an additional cost).
Important information about Train Rides:
- Please dress appropriately for the weather the day of your ride. The railroad operates open passenger cars, rain or shine.
- Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your train’s departure time. Allow ample time to park and board your train. The trains do not wait for late passengers and you are not guaranteed a ride on another train if you miss your departure time.
- The excursions take about one hour. There are no bathrooms on the trains, so please plan accordingly. There are bathrooms (porta potties) on the rail yard grounds.
- Limited handicap facilities are available. Please contact us regarding any special needs.
- The staff is an all-volunteer crew trained to operate the equipment in a safe and professional manner. If you have questions concerning the railway or museum, you are encouraged to ask an on-duty volunteer.
- No refunds or rain checks are offered due to inclement weather.
- The railroad reserves the right to substitute equipment or cancel any event or excursion without notice.
- You may call to verify trains are operating before visiting.
- If you purchase a ticket(s) online, take your receipt to the ticket office on the ride day to pick up tickets before boarding the train. Boarding is first come, first serve so please board as soon as possible. Trains will depart at the scheduled time or earlier, if full.
- Special event fare and schedule may vary.