Click Buy Tickets for train departure times and ticket prices. Choose your ride day or month, select a departure time, then Find Tickets. Purchase online, over the phone, and available remaining tickets on the day of event via walk-up at the ticket office.
Please read the important ride info in the Plan your visit page to make your trip comfortable and memorable. The museum and trains are 100% operated and maintained by volunteers, passionate to preserve and share railroad history. Currently, our No. 17 steam locomotive is undergoing regularly scheduled review and repairs to maintain safety and compliance, in the meantime all trains are pulled by one of vintage diesel-electric locomotives – four open-air passenger cars and a caboose.
Remaining operating days in 2019:
- November 10 – Slow Down Sunday
- November 13 – Wed 10:30a only – ride open to the public, ideal for small to medium groups – get info here.
- December 7 – Santa’s Reindeer Roundup Express
- December 8 – Santa’s Reindeer Roundup Express
- December 14 – Santa’s Reindeer Roundup Express
- December 15 – Santa’s Reindeer Roundup Express
- December 21 – Santa’s Reindeer Roundup Express
Important information about Train Rides:
- Please dress appropriately for the weather the day of your ride. The railway operates open passenger cars, rain -or- shine.
- Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your train’s departure time. Allow ample time to park and board your train. Trains do not wait for late passengers and you are not guaranteed a seat on any train if you miss your departure time.
- The excursions take about one hour. There are no bathrooms on the trains, so please plan accordingly. There are bathrooms (porta potties) on the rail yard grounds.
- Limited handicap facilities are available. Please contact us regarding any special needs.
- The staff is an all-volunteer crew trained to operate the equipment in a safe and professional manner. If you have questions concerning the railway or museum, you are encouraged to ask an on-duty volunteer.
- No refunds or rain checks are offered due to inclement weather.
- The railroad reserves the right to substitute equipment or cancel any event or excursion without notice.
- You may call to verify trains are operating before visiting.
- Please come to the ticket office on the ride day. If you paid online, we still need to check you in. You may also pay online and we will print your tickets at the ticket office or you may purchase your tickets at the ticket office the day of the ride. Boarding is first come, first serve so please board as soon as possible. Trains will depart at the scheduled time or earlier, if full.
- Special event fare and schedule may vary.
Note: The benefits of Brew ‘n’ Choo sales (minus operation expenses) are directed towards the listed project. Any additional donations would be greatly welcomed! The North Carolina Railway Museum, Inc. is a private educational 501c3 non-profit organization, operating the New Hope Valley Railway.